Business talent scouting is a perennial problem of most companies. Many businesses wonder why they cannot keep their talented employees. They keep hiring employees who will not stay long. This is not good for business because instead of focusing on how to make the business grow, management has to spend time orienting and training new employees.
Where finding and retaining employees with potentials are concerned, most companies employ ineffective methods. Studies will show that many businesses do not give priority policy to developing employees. They forget that the employees are the workhorse of the company and as such they should be given proper care and opportunities to grow.
The role of CEOs have greatly changed. Today, their job is to get out and find new talents, develop networking within the company.
Paradigm Shifting of CEOs Relationship with Employees
- Most CEOs learn from their former boss about the old paradigm where they are boss to others. Bossing people around is not helpful to the business, especially with limited information or the CEO is not in a position to add real value to the output of employees.
- It is time to shift paradigms. Instead of giving orders, they have to ask the employees what they need from management in order to do their jobs better.
- If there are managers in the company, the CEOs should never even attempt to manage their direct reports. They can only lead the managers, but not manage them.
- If there are department heads, always find out what resources they need before telling them what they should be doing.
- There are times when it is wise for CEOs not to make every decision especially if he is surrounded by capable people. CEOs must learn to trust. They lead and not boss others around.
Growing companies have better advantages where finding at retaining employees are concerned. They provide their people with much autonomy, and variety of work and roles. On the other hand, however, small businesses with brands that are not well known, cannot offer clear career directions. The younger employees stay away from these companies.
Redefining the value of employees is very vital in the business world. Companies should study the ambitions and values of the demographic groups in their workplace. Each group of talent has different dreams, needs and interests. Business companies have to offer a variety of growth and development if they desire to attract and retain good talents.